Around the Property
Guests at the French Country House will enjoy the serenity of our quiet country location. The vast grounds of our luxury lodge show off the best of the countryside so if you prefer, you can lose yourself in the beautiful Bay of Plenty landscape without leaving the property.
Ramble through the 40 acre park-like setting of our boutique accommodation. Pheasant, turkeys, plovers and wild ducks can be found while exploring the grounds.
Take our donkey Cheyenne for a walk - she is a great companion. Visit our horses and feed them some carrots from the kitchen!
Be as active or relaxed as you wish on your luxury escape.
In the Bay of Plenty Area
The Bay of Plenty was named by the British explorer Captain Cook in the 1700's for being so lush and green. Today it is just as bountiful and beautiful.
Guests will enjoy a lovely temperate climate and high sunshine hours, perfect for outdoor activities and adventures.
A range of activities and events can be found in the Bay to suit all tastes. Take a surf lesson, swim with dolphins, book a fishing charter, walk up the Mount, visit the active volcano of White Island, take a bush walk, visit waterfalls, lakes, thermal springs, or take to the air in a balloon, glider, scenic flight or go tandem skydiving. Check out the excellent range of cafés and visit the award winning Mills Reef winery.
The region also hosts many exciting sporting events, cultural festivals and regular farmer's markets.
We can arrange:
- Horse riding with our qualified instructor
- Boat cruises from Tauranga
- Fishing or hunting trips with local fishermen and hunters
- White water rafting or kayaking on the famous Kaituna River
- Golf at one of the six courses nearby
- Premium cuisine at one of the Bay's fine restaurants
- Wine tasting at award winning local vineyards
- A helicopter trip to White Island
Use the French Country House as a springboard to experience the sights enjoyed by many visitors to the region. A small sample includes:
- Volcanic attractions and spa treatments in Rotorua (1hour 20 minutes) or Taupo (2 hours) with numerous steaming geysers and hot springs and the thundering Huka Falls
- For all the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit fans, visit the amazing "Hobbiton" movie set in Matamata (1 hour)
- Guided tours and dives around New Zealand's only active marine volcano, White Island
- Walk barefoot along the golden sands of Waihi surf beach (30 minutes)
- Maungatautari Ecological Reserve, a popular spot to experience the New Zealand forest as it was hundreds of years ago (1 hour 30 minutes)
- Historic walks and excellent cafés in and around Waihi town and the impressive canyon of Karangahake Gorge (40 minutes)
- Dig your own personal spa bath in the sand at Hot Water Beach on the Coromandel Peninsula (2 hours)